Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Fruit, Pool and a Cat

This is the third time we have had granadilla for dessert. I had to show you what it looks like. It is a fruit with a hard skin. You cut it in half and eat the seeds and the slimy stuff that is around them. It is something you have to swallow without chewing, because the seeds are hard and bitter. It is awful looking (I think), but actually tastes very good and sweet (if you can get past the way it looks). The boys and Dan all like it. (Mom, I actually did eat it the first time, but just can't get past the not chewing and the way it looks to do it again)

We had our second trip to the pool today. As before it was hot when we left to go and it got cloudy and cooler when we arrived at the pool. When we got dressed to leave the sun came back out. We made the best of it tho. The boys love the pool, even if they are shivering. The water is not particularly warm, but not terribly cold either. We bought "wings" for them so we don't have to try to hold onto all 3 of them. They were a little too big for Andres, but the other two did ok with them. It took Juan awhile to believe they would hold him up, but in the end he did and had a good time in the deep end. No parks today at all. Dan spent the morning shopping and with the pool this afternoon there wasn't really enough time. We did make an important purchase. Dan got a stuffed cat for Juan Pablo to sleep with. Now the dogs can have their toys back. He loves it. He tried to bring it to the table for lunch wrapped up in a towel. Andres got a baby Pooh and Maicol got a soccer ball. Andres went right to sleep for his nap and this evening with it. Don't know that the Pooh did it, but it sure didn't hurt. When Maicol goes to the store again we'll see if he wants something to sleep with also. Dan is feeling better today.

Everyone is asleep by 9pm tonight. Juan Pablo fell asleep while they were watching Robin Hood. Andres laid down, held onto the Pooh and fell asleep. Maicol was out last, but very quickly. I think he was tired, and with Juan already asleep there was no one to mess with to keep him awake.

Mom, we'll try to get a picture taken of all of us tomorrow. We started to tonight, but Juan was already asleep and just couldn't wake up. Usually after breakfast everyone is still happy and relatively clean.

We found out that we got Judge #6. Don't know exactly what that means for us, except that we do not have to go and see him like we would if we had received Judge #3.

Stay tuned tomorrow. Same time, same station.
PS: there had better be some comments or no pictures!

I'll eat that slimy stuff with the seeds, Mom.
Granadilla!!

This is how I watch a movie after a long day at the pool.


13 comments:

beth baker said...

the fruit looks so gross mom. i'm really surprised that you ate it! i wouldn't have. things are still good here. the weather is great in the evening...the noon time is rough though. i just got back from worship practice. it looks like it's gonna be a good time. well i gotta go study genesis! night.

Bob Abbott said...

Hi Dan and Karen,
I am glad to see your blog and see the children. I am so happy for you and pray everything continues well. I enjoyed seeing the pictures. I sent Lydia your blog in Mexico. I am sure she will enjoy seeing what you are doing.
The fruit looks very different! I will keep checking your blog and telling Carla about your adventure.

Bob

melsom23 said...

hola. my name is melanie and im in beths wing at college. she showed me her new brothers and i am so excited for you all. im sure the language barrier is difficult but it gets easier. i was in mexico for 7 weeks this past summer so i understand the language can be hard. hopefully beth and i will find time to help her with spanish so she can communicate with the boys. i love looking at the pictures and once again im so excited for you guys!

AnaMaria said...

Karen,

The granadilla sounds a lot like a pomegranate. (Something I have never eaten myself.) The pomegranate is red inside with all the tiny seeds surrounded by goo. Terry and Matthew have tried it and liked it. There are some who believe the pomegranate is the "apple" in Genesis.

We have blankets and an elephant that try to eat with us fairly often. They are not successful when I'm alert! Sometimes, though, I just don't notice.

Mary

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Hello, We are the Hollis', also adopting siblings from CHI. We just sent in our Dossier. Your blog has been so refreshing to read. The boys are beautiful! We are loving the photos, it's nice to have a visual of the surroundings. We have two biological children ages 11 and 10. They are enjoying the blog as well. Thanks again, we read daily! God Bless.

linda said...

Hi, It was good to here from you again. I wonder if you and Aunt Deb could converse since you both have Skype. Am telling everyone who will listen about you and the boys. I'm not at all excited hahaha. Today I go to the doc for a regular check up. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better Dan. Love to you all,Mom and Dad

La Familia Armstrong said...

Please keep the pictures coming! :) My Husband & I check back often and are enjoying your posts and photos.

Wow, what a dessert. I am glad it was tasty.

I am glad to hear that the boys love their new stuffed items - that's sweet. I thought it was very funny about the dog toys!

Also, very glad to hear that Dan is feeling better from his cold - that made us sad to read! :(

Thanks for sharing!!!

Julie A.

AnaMaria said...

Karen,

The granadilla is not grown in the US, climate is not cooperative, so I think you're off the hook as long as you stay in Indiana.

Mary

carolyn said...

Hi Bakers,

I've really enjoyed your pictures of the family and the scenery. Glad to hear Dan is feeling better. Know that we are praying for all of you.

carolyn

Mom said...

Hi family, It is great to see the pictures and read of your bonding progress. It is probably a good thing I am using the library computer as I would never get everything downloaded at home. Karen, I am glad you have found out about the "Mommy Maker" name I once had. Enjoy hearing your special title as it will pass sooner than you think.
I can hardly wait until you all get home.
The scenery makes it look like a vacation spot. What a place to spend your wedding anniversary!!!
Keep posting and I will keep enjoying. Love, Mom

BobAndJane said...

Really nice to get your calls. I really have been trying to leave a comment. We will see if this works. Let us know what sizes the boys wear and what they need. Sounds like you are really getting used to each other!

Connie said...

Granadilla is different, but I loved it. You're right,though, chewing just doesn't work. It just felt like it was healthy for you, though. :) Glad Dan is feeling better! Love the pictures and the posts.