Thursday, October 11, 2007

Progress

Dan took the boys to get haircuts today. He said they all did ok. Maicol was complaining a little - he really likes it to be longer (especially in the front) and then his neck was itching. I told them all they looked very handsome. Juan was very proud of his haircut. He even took his toboggan hat off to show me. They were wearing them and gloves today because it was so "cold". They are so funny.
We ate at the Chinese restaurant today and it went very well. Only one piece of chicken on the floor, everyone was pretty happy with what they got to eat and they were pretty quiet. Things are so much different than when we first got home. The first trip to the Chinese restaurant was like a circus. We were trying to get food and drinks for all of them - they didn't know what they like, wouldn't sit still and understood little English. Now we know much better what they like, they will sit still and understand so much more English. We've come a long way already. Can't wait to see what it will be like in a couple more months.
Dan to Maicol to work with him this afternoon. He had a good time and the other two got to stay home and help me. Juan is a very good table setter. They weren't much help bring in firewood tho. Not as much fun I guess. Mostly they just played together. The late afternoon time is the hardest for them to not get in trouble. From the time I start fixing dinner until Dan gets home to eat it seems there is alot of fussing. I have been trying to have something for them to do in the kitchen while I'm there and that does help. They just can't seem to go anywhere else in the house and play. They want to stay in the kitchen and just "mess around" getting into things and bothering each other. Anyone else have the same problem?
Time for bed. Talk to you tomorrow.

Karen

2 comments:

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Hi Karen,
Same problem? Ha! I hope we aren't the only two moms with this problem. I like to think it is universal when dealing with siblings! That makes me feel better anyway!

It seems I have tried coloring books, each have to have their very own...I have had Andrew and Tatiana do school work, while Diego plays with a toy- they all sit in different areas, we try to make it a game; give a few M&M's every 4-5 mins (like 2-3 candies), they like that! I have even sent them to their rooms at times. We have the boys in the same room, so sometimes there is still conflict at which I call a time out and they each spend 5 min on their "cama"-bed. And if they can be nice to one another, then they can get up...

Of course, you know, none of these things work consecutive days; it wouldn't be that easy! And it may just be me, but the boys seem to be the more challenging...so, you may be in for some fun!!! You may need to share your ideas with me later!

To help me get thru the difficult behaviors, sometimes I just have to stop what I think is important for the here and now and give them the attn they want. Sometimes that frustrates me, esp. when the tantrums begin, but then I remember how blessed I am from them. And how God would not give me something too difficult to handle on my own, without helping me himself. So, I have to pray...like that MC Hammer song..."We have to pray just to make it today!"

You guys sound like you're doing great! Congrats Mami! You guys are doing awesome! Keep up the posts. I look forward in reading your daily posts.

Wendi,
Adoptive Mami of 3 fr Mississippi

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

Ah, the notorious "fussy time". That magical time between later afternoon and dinner when even the most angelic of children turn into grumppy pants.

Generally we try to go out for a bike ride or walk at that time. Or else to the library. Maybe a few nature hikes. Are your leaves changing? Get 'em out to find a red, orange, yellow, brown each. Then the biggest red, orange..... Then the smallest..... Anything to get the antsies out.

And best inure those boys to what "cold" really feels like while it's still not that cold ;*) - else I can picture lots of LLLOOOONNNNGGGG days stuck inside when the true cold rolls in. I'm sure they'll become accustomed to it soon.

Catharine is going to be sending a package to her primos so look for it in a week or so.

XO,
L.