Friday, January 25, 2008

The Week in Review

It has been a good week. I took a little bit of vacation hours and Dan hasn't had much work this week, so we've had more time together. He is working with Maicol on phonics and learning to read in English. Maicol doesn't particularly like doing the work, but learns very quickly. He likes that instant success thing, but then again don't we all. Juan has now completed 3 lessons in Unit 1 of Rosetta Stone English. He is very proud of himself. As soon as he finished the 3rd one today he wanted to go to the store to buy bubble gum. He cannot let that money get even a little "cold". Juan wants to learn to blow bubbles, so Dan is trying to teach him. He is very funny - a mouthful of bubble gum and the best he can do is stick it out of his mouth and blow. :) He doesn't understand about making the "pocket" to put air in to blow the bubble. Maicol can do it a little.
We went to the Children's Museum yesterday. We took pictures, but somehow they have disappeared between the camera and the computer, so you missed out. We were only there a couple of hours. Got to leave them wanting more you know. Only one little behavior problem, so I think it was a good trip. We rode the carousel more than once and saw parts of a couple of exhibits, so there's still lots more to do.
My other big accomplishment this last 2 weeks is that I have all but one page done of a scrapbook of our trip to Colombia. One day a week I work at a job that really doesn't involve much work so I have been trying to use that time to complete the scrapbook. I'm not usually on top of things like that, but with the extra time away from home I was able to get it done. Now I'll have to come up with a new project.
Jonathan came over to play tonight for a couple of hours. They love it when he comes. Usually he plays more with the big boys, but tonight it was mostly Andrew. Jonathan brought his old Game Boy for Maicol, so that took care of him wanting to do anything else. Juan was very busy on the computer playing games, so that left Andrew to get some attention. They had a really good time. They are so blessed to have a good older brother. Maicol was telling me tonight as I rocked him that Jonathan is a good brother. I think tonight it had to do with the Game Boy, but in general they do talk about what a good brother he is. They like playing Hide and Seek and board games with him. They always want to ride in his car. They were coloring pictures today and asked if we could send them to Bethany. So while they don't see her as much, they do think about her. They have been asking every day lately when she's coming home. They don't really understand about going away to college and working.
Today as I made breakfast, did some schoolwork, cleaning and playing games with them I just couldn't help but feel blessed. This really is where I imagined myself. As Jonathan and Bethany grew up I just didn't feel like I was done with children. I didn't know it would come through international adoption and I didn't know it would be with three boys, but it has been a great almost 5 months now. While there are times they are a challenge, they are also such wonderful kids. Like everyone else says, they have added so much to our lives. We can't imagine what we would do without them now.
Well, enough sappy stuff. :) Have a good weekend.
Karen

4 comments:

beth baker said...

i love you so much mom! and i'm so proud of you!

linda said...

I am so happy to see you so happy. I hope you know that I know that Dan has a wonderful wife-----and he's not so bad himself. I, too, am very proud of the two of you and your grown kids. Lots of love and prayers, Mom

Annette said...

You guys are SOOOOOO blessed and fortunate! I would do just about anything to be in your shoes right about now!

Genece said...

Isn't it great to have those cherished moments of reflection to take pride in your sense of accomplishments. We sure do enjoy following along and watching the boys as they grow. The boys are all so very cute and sweet! And your grown 2 sure are great with their brothers too! Your children are surrounded by love and guidance and it shows! How blessed you are!!!
Genece