Monday, May 26, 2008

Two Steps Forward, One Step Backward

Soccer is over and the swimming season has begun. That is if it would get warm enough for the swimming season to start. Maicol insisted that it was warm enough to go to (and we couldn't tell him any different of course), so we took them swimming. It was about 73 here today I think and pretty breezy. They were so excited they could hardly contain themselves. Juan even insisted on starting his schoolwork early so he could get done and go swimming. (No, we didn't let them have the holiday off). They didn't swim long once they got there. Maicol complained that he was cold and was not happy that I was right about the temperature. He really, really likes to be right, win, be first, etc. Juan and Andrew lasted a little longer, but gave it up in less than 30 minutes I would guess.

We did some work around the house and in the garage. I ended up playing hide and seek in the house with them before bedtime since it was rainy out. Andrew hid in our closet and it probably took me 10 minutes to find him. He was quiet as a mouse and hidden very well. He was quite proud of himself. Of course, he continued to hide in the same place each time, so it got pretty easy to figure out where he was.

We met with our small group last night. The house we went to has a swim spa so the kids were very excited about that. They talked about it all day. Only problem is they had a terrible time listening and obeying. We finally told Maicol and Juan they could not go swimming after they were very rude and disobedient to me. It almost killed them. I got "you're not my mother" and "you don't love us" from Maicol. That took a little talking and holding, but I think we got through it ok. He apologized to me before he went to bed and admitted he didn't really mean what he said. We did talk to him about thinking before he says things like that, how much it hurts us, and in particular telling Juan that I don't love him. Juan asked me if I loved him, and seemed satisfied with my answers and explanation for why Maicol would say that. Andrew got to swim, so that probably made it even worse. They took awhile to get over it, but ended up having a very good time in the end. They got to play tag, pull each other in a wagon and ride a horse. A very good ending to the day, but it seems that it is always a few steps forward and then one back again.

We ended dinner today with watermelon. I put them outside to eat it. Nothing is quite as good as sitting on the porch, eating watermelon and spitting the seeds. :) Andrew couldn't figure out the seed thing, so he just spit pieces of watermelon. They are just hilarious sometimes!

I have one more day off and then it's back to the grind. These 4 days off have been great, but I think I need the rest I get by going to work!

Karen



After he scored a goal!
Juan

Juan and his "castle".


Big sisters are good for teaching pillow fighting.



5 comments:

Connie said...

My kids love hide and seek too---if they find a great hiding place I'm not too quick to find them. :) It makes for a relaxing few minutes. I feel for you, Karen. It's so hard to sacrifice so much for kids who then turn ugly towards you. Hang in there!

Nicole said...

Karen,

It's a tender subject and they just don't realize the hurt it can cause. They just say it to get a reaction. Don't let those words hurt you because he has no idea of the depth of the them. You both are doing a good job. Keep it up!

I know I told my mom I hated her a few times growing up. How stupid. I had no concept of what hate really was.

Anonymous said...

They do keep you busy, but it is so rewarding. Love Mom

Genece said...

We have similar days around here too! You know, where you're moving along at a good pace and then a stumble happens. My struggles are usually with Fabian, but so far he hasn't expressed his unhappiness verbally. (He just holds onto such a hateful look sometimes when he's gotten in trouble.) Hang in there and understand (as I do) that tomorrow brings another day, another opportunity to get it right! Consistency shows our love, and trust and security are just some of the ideals they stand to gain. Hang in there and know that you're not battling this alone!

Sending prayers for better tomorrows!
Genece

Anonymous said...

Could you give me any infomation on adoption? My husband and I are looking to adopt a girl 3-5 yr old and have hit a road block with Haiti. We have 3 biological children and they just changed the requirements to only 2 biological children midway through our process. We are already signed up with an agency in the chicagoland area who has not facilitated an adoption through Columbia. Previously I did not find any local agency who had Columbian experience. My best friend is columbian and her uncle in columbia has some tie to an orphange there. What are the Columbian side of the cost, (we already are aware of the US cost involved), and hid you work through an agency whith Columbian experience? I haven't bloged before so I hope I am doing this right.