Saturday, January 10, 2009

Our Life in Pictures

Since pictures are the most interesting part of the blog - here's a post with lots of them.

A drawing by Juan Pablo. I know the upper part is Santa and a reindeer. I think the bottom part is a bus, but I'm not sure.

These next three are in reverse order, but I'm too lazy to change it. :)
I read something recently about having a "Candy Cane Hunt" for Christmas. With my boys and my sisters boys going to Grandma's for Christmas in January an outside activity seemed like a good idea. Fortunately it wasn't too cold and it turned out very well. They actually hunted for them twice. The first time I had them give me the candy canes and we hid them again. At the end of the second round I gave each of them a dollar for their efforts. So the first picture is Andrew with his treasure, the second is a "hidden" candy cane and the third is the boys racing to find them.

Do you see it?





This is my Mom and the boys making reindeer's out of Nutter Butter cookies. They turned out very cute. Then we got a little more creative and made other animals and Juan even figured out how to make a car with a seat. He is the most creative of the three.


Andrew

Maicol


Juan Pablo


All of the boys in a big sycamore tree at Grandma's. My brother, sister and I had a picture taken in this tree when we were kids. A few years ago we recreated that, but it was alot more work to get all of us up there (and we don't quite fit like we used to)! :) So now we take pictures of our kids in the tree.

The week after Christmas we tried to go to the Children's Museum, but it was very crowded so we looked for something else to do. Jonathan's fiance suggested this park and it was wonderful! They had great playground/climbing equipment and a nature center. We can't wait to go back when it's a little warmer and not so muddy. We passed a tree that looked climbable, so of course they had to give it a try.

We're still looking for a decent snowfall. This is still a daily topic of conversation and watching the weather report on the news at least twice a day. I sure hope this isn't the first winter I can remember where we didn't get at least one decent snow.
We still see glimpses of what's going on inside their minds and that they are still trying to figure out this whole adoption/forever family thing. On the way to Grandma's last weekend for Christmas Juan asked if his foster mother was still his Mami. I told him that I was his Mami now. It's been over a year now and it seems he's still processing what it means to be adopted and having us as his Mom and Dad forever. Maicol had a dream this week in which he was taken away and placed in a different home. They were told by their foster family that if they weren't good they would be sent back, so to him I think this is still a very real possibility. He has had that on his mind alot the last couple of days. I guess the good part is that the possibility of that made him very unhappy, so he is happy to be here with us. But, I hate that he thinks that it could even be possible that he is not here forever. He has also recently been asking/stating he is our son forever and will be here forever. We've reiterated that message with all of them alot the last few days. While to us their permanence with us is so obvious to them it isn't. I think for them all the talking in the world doesn't mean much - it's the day-to-day living with us and seeing that nothing changes that is very slowly beginning to seal it in their heads and hearts.
Time for a little shut-eye. Enjoy your weekend and for those of you with snow - know that we are very jealous!
Karen











4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures. Thank you very much. The boys are so fortunate to have two such loving parents. Love you, Mom

Erin said...

I love the tree pictures! Trees are on my favorite places to take pictures. Thanks for sharing how your boys are processing the adoption. I appreciate your openness about it. It's good to know what older child adoption is really like. Happy New Year!

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Hey Karen,

I have been talking more and more about the adoption lately. The children didn't just open up and talk about it, and after talking to Julie a bit; I don't want them to think it is a "bad" thing to talk about... so I shared their story with them... They seemed interested, but Tatiana is the only one who repeats it. I wonder what goes on in Andrew's mind. He doesn't talk about his foster family at all...it's as if it's all been repressed...

The Jensen Family said...

I definitely think that permanence is huge in their minds. I know our daughter calrifies all the time to make sure that I will be her forever mommy. With a life of instability I guess it's easy to understand why.

I adored the tree pictures. They so beautifully capture the boys and their time together. I may have to try a few like that and hope my kids don't break their arms! : )

Traci