Friday, December 19, 2008

When will the Holidays be over?!

Dan keeps asking me if I've blogged - (as if he doesn't have fingers to type) so I'm taking advantage of the fact that everyone is in bed and I'm not sleepy to do a little update.

Christmas is coming and it certainly is obvious in the behavior of the boys. All we have in the way of decorations at our house is a tree with lights. We haven't even put ornaments on yet, but just having the tree up seems to have been enough to get them excited. Here's recap of the events of Tuesday to give you a taste of what it's like at our house lately.
1. Juan Pablo found a burning candle in my bathroom, lit a piece of paper and melted part of
the toilet seat with it.
2. Juan was mad about having to do his schoolwork, so he poked Andrew's leg with his pencil
(through his pants) and punctured his skin.
3. Maicol shot me in the face with his Nerf gun.
4. Maicol and Juan broke a lightbulb in one of the pendant lights over the kitchen counter.
5. Juan took a toy sled and put the rope from it around Andrew's neck and was trying to
make him follow him by pulling on the rope.
6. Neither one of them could sit still and do their schoolwork. It took them all day to finish
what should have been 2 hours worth of assignments.
7. And last night while I was rocking Andrew I discovered the "thump" I was hearing was
Juan throwing a 2-lb dumbell weight from his bed across the room and hitting the wall
putting little dents in the drywall.
I finally sat Juan on a stool in the kitchen so I could keep an eye on him and sent Maicol outside to play by himself. Why and how do they think of the things they do?! I know that alot of it is just the excitement of Christmas coming, but they were driving me crazy that day! And so they went to bed early, becuase I hope to keep the house and myself intact a little longer! :)

We haven't had much snow, but have had some ice. The boys have been sliding down the neighbor's driveway on their sleds. The ice is evidently faster than snow and is alot of fun. They are still anxiously awaiting enough snow to really sled. They still watch the weather daily to see if there is any chance of a big snow coming.

Wish there we something more interesting to say. The days continue to speed by. Maicol's behavior and attitude are improving. He still struggles with comprehending the permanence of being a part of our family and having a mom forever, but I think he is slowly allowing himself to relax and enjoy it. We're not always as much "fun" as he would like, but then that wouldn't be reality either would it? Juan Pablo continues to show his creativity. Today he was using garage door opener boxes to make race cars and space ships to play with Andrew. He and Andrew spend alot of time playing together and generally get along very well. Andrew is growing up! He isn't going to be the "baby" much longer. His vocabulary is growing rapidly and we are enjoying him so much.

Until next time....
Andrew and Maicol playing with K'nex.
Biggest brother and littlest brother.

Andrew with my Uncle Ted. I'm pretty sure he believes that Uncle Ted is Santa, otherwise I don't think he would have been so affectionate.


When I went in to check on them the other night this is where I found Andrew. Obviously not in his bed!



7 comments:

janine said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE that last picture! It is so adorable!

What a crazy day you had! Just be glad that the pencil point didn't break off . . . my brother did that to me when we were younger . . . in the shoulder! I had to go to the dr. to get it removed and still have a scar!

Hope things calm down a bit and you have a wonderful Christmas!!

Beth said...

What a post! 3 Boys...boy oh boy oh boy is all I can say. I would have had them in bed early too!!!! Whew! But the pics are priceless...love em.

Sherri said...

I love the last picture too! Your boys do sound a little excited, just a little :), and I'm thinking they might get more so before it'd over. Have a wonderful Christmas! Yes, to bed early is a good, good idea.

THE CALDERARO'S said...

Being the mother of two boys myself I can relate. Hate to break it to you but, as they get older, the stunts get more creative and costly:) Always nice to speak with other Hoosiers who have adopted from Colombia. Enjoy your holidays.

The Jensen Family said...

Wow--a snapshot of three boys--they are busy! I can see why you are too tired to blog. I'm pretty sure I, too, would need to put them to bed early and have some down time. Blessings for the next few days before Christmas. Let the true excitement begin and take lots of photos!

Traci

La Familia Armstrong said...

Your posts are SO funny, Karen!

Your hijos are sooooo cute!

My kids are squirrely too - I have to have them play separately or have them sit in chairs instead of all together on the couch to prevent a multitude of issues. I don't know where they come up with some of their antics!

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great,and I really enjoy the blog. Mom