Saturday, November 29, 2008

Moving right along

What do you do with all those leftover boxes? If you're a 9-year old boy this is what you do...

Maicol has been saving boxes since the summer so that he and Juan Pablo could pretend to be robots and fight. Not sure where he came up with the idea, but they had a great time and they still have enough to repeat the activity again.

Guess it's not really fair to complain about other people not updating their blog if you don't update your own. :) I'm full of excuses, but none of them really very good, so here goes.

Juan Pablo is now 7 years old. We went to the fabulous Chuck E Cheese's to celebrate. We unfortunately chose a cold Saturday, so it was packed. We let them use their tokens, trade their tickets in for fabulous prizes and went to Burger King for kids meals and to open presents. The cake had to wait until the next day. As was the tradition in my family every child gets a chance to blow out the candles after the birthday child has done it. Makes for alot of relighting of candles, but then everyone gets to have a little fun even if it's not their special day. We did a very low-key small celebration and it seemed to work out pretty well. Certainly better than last year. Minimal misbehavior!

We have been seeing an improvement in Maicol and his behavior, particularly toward me. Not perfect, but certainly better - fewer highs and lows, less outbursts of anger, less complaining about what I do or don't do, etc. Juan still likes to tell me "no" about whatever it is I have asked him to do. I think he has developed a habit of immediately saying it and now I'm trying to get him to think before he speaks. Not an easy task! He threw a fit outside tonight that I know anyone within a mile could hear! When he thought I was talking to Dan on the phone he immediatly got quiet, so I know that he can stop it if he wants to. After he calmed down I told him what the consequence would be for doing that again. So, we'll see if he wants to test me or not (it's not really a matter of if, but when). He made it about 2 hours before he went to bed without getting into trouble, but I don't imagine it will take him long tomorrow to try me.

I have finally converted Andrew and Juan into pancake and waffle lovers. When we first got home we tried pancakes and they all disliked them. I tried waffles with the same results. Finally about a week ago I really wanted pancakes so I decided to make them whether anyone else wanted them or not. Imagine my surprise when both Juan and Andrew declared how much they love panckes. They have been asking for them almost everyday. Maicol is still holding out.

Life just continues to move along. School is going ok. There is the usual complaining about having to do it, but it still must be done and so while the complaining doesn't result in less work assigned (quite the opposite sometimes), they still continue to do it. I have started requiring it to be done within a certain time if they want playtime with Mom and that has helped some.

We're off to Ohio to celebrate Thanksgiving next weekend. I had to work this weekend and since my family celebrates Christmas together in January, in a way it makes sense to celebrate Thanksgiving in December. :) Really looking forward to getting away and seeing everyone.

Here are a few pictures for you to enjoy!

Andrew

Juan Pablo

Maicol

Riding the horse at Chuck E Cheese's.

Playing a firefighter game together at Chuck E Cheese's

(with Jonathan watching in the background).

Lots of tickets to trade for fabulous prizes


Checking out the birthday loot.


Blowing out the birthdday candles together.

Juan Pablo - the birthday boy.












6 comments:

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

What a cool robot! Great idea! The boys are growing up so fast! Love the pictures!

janine said...

Yes, yes, boxes make some of the greatest toys EVER! . . . especially if I have one that the boys can SIT it . . . they can be entertained for hours!!

I love the leaf pictures!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you hardly have time to update your blog,but I do enjoy it and the pictures when you do. Hope your weekend went well. Love, Mom

Beth said...

Thanks for the update and I love love love the pics. You all are doing a wonderful job, you can see in the boys faces how loved they are.

Sherri said...

Your birthday boy looks older! I'm glad you had a nice celebration. Any boy I know would love to be in on those boxes, maybe you should save them this coming year as a gift for Christmas 2009! I am going to try to remember you in my homeschool prayer we pray in the morning, we start tomorrow after a week off. I hope you have a good week, and a nice trip!

The Jensen Family said...

I can definitely see that I need to encourage more creativity in my household! Loved the use of the boxes. We, too, have found that our kids didn't like certain things when we first got back , but after two or three times, they love it. I guess it takes a while for their palletes to change. Continued prayers go out to you and your needs with school and behavior. I know God is listening!

Traci