Friday, February 8, 2008

Our Day

Here's what we have accomplished today: three meals made at home, schoolwork, rollerblading, bike riding, jumping on the trampoline, making a house out of a shoebox, watched The Little Mermaid, baths, rocking and bed for all 3 before 9pm. What a great day!
Maicol has been wanting to make a house, so I got shoeboxes out and we did that this morning. I'm not sure why, but he has been very interested in doing this. Juan of course wanted to make one too, so they each made one. He actually worked on it longer than Maicol did. He put a row of beads along the roof for Christmas lights. Does that tell you what we still have on our roof? :)
The weather was good today, so we got outside for a couple of hours this afternoon. They had a great time, and by the time we were finishing dinner Andrew and Juan could barely keep their eyes open. Juan actually laid his head on the table and wasn't really interested in finishing his dinner (and he really likes to eat).
I think that after 5 months, Juan is finally realizing that we are his parents. A couple of days ago when I was rocking him, he looked at me and said "My Mama?". I told him that I was his Mama and Andrew's, Maicol's, Bethany's and Jonathan's too. I'm not sure what he was thinking before, but it seems like he has had kind of a revelation or something. He has been very affectionate and repeated the "My Mama" phrase many times today. He just looks up at me and smiles. Maybe he has decided that he wants us as much as we want him.
We had a nice, peaceful dinner tonight. If you have eaten at our house in the last 5 months, this is a major accomplishment. There is always a fair amount of loud talk, belching, getting up, going to the bathroom, talking loudly, etc. Maybe the fact that they were tired and hungry helped, but it was nice. Maybe it will happen again someday.
Have a good weekend.
Karen






















4 comments:

linda said...

Thanks for the pictures. It is strange what goes through thier heads. I guess calling you Mama and Papa doesn't make you so in thier minds. Love, Mom

Connie said...

Wow, it's been 5 months!?! I'm so glad that Juan is accepting you. I heard somewhere recently that you won't be seen as a parent figure unless you dispense rewards (love, gifts, etc.) and punishment (consequences) like God does. Hmm. Something I've pondered. Sounds like you are doing both splendidly!

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Love the house! How cool...Good job!

Anonymous said...

Karen, this one was really heartwarming for me. Maybe because I felt really close to Juan. He was so good about letting me put him on my lap. I felt like he was really sweet. I'm glad it's getting through to them that you're the mama. I think what he's trying to say is "you're not going to leave me; and I love you for that."